When planning out our annual goals, we look to find areas where we can improve.
One of the areas we came up with is: Cable Management
Small & Medium businesses tend to move and change quickly. We realize downtime can quickly become expensive for our clients, so we always do whatever we can to make any equipment installation go as quickly, efficiently, and as cost effective as possible.
Unfortunately, this can sometimes lead to messy network cabinets & messy areas on or around computer desks.
While it’s true messy cables likely won’t hurt your computer’s or network’s performance, there are a few disadvantages to having what many of our clients jokingly call “a rat’s nest of cables”.
• It looks Terrible!
• Can be a trip and snag hazzard, which could hurt people and damage equipment!
• Unsupported (stretched) cables can fail
• May inhibit or interfere with network / computer troubleshooting
• May inhibit or interfere with future equipment installation or expansion
• Lack of air-flow could cause cooling issues and premature equipment failure.
• Accumulation of dust & dirt
We’ve put together a “desktop cable management kit” that we will begin selling. This kit includes:
• X1 Cable Box
• x10 Velcro Cable Ties
• 10′ Braided Cable Split Sleeving
• X4 Large Zip Ties (to secure sleeve only!)
• X4 Small Zip Ties (to secure / close sleeve only!)
• X4 Adhesive Tie Anchors
Here’s a before and after picture of a desk (one of our own!) that we used our cabling management kit on.
It’s important to note it’s not recommended that zip ties be used directly on cables. This is because they are so strong and rigid, they can actually harm the cables they support.
Our cable box is perfect for housing a surge arrestor, plugs, and excess cable!